Tuesday, July 29, 2008

MS or JOB

I've been thinking over this for quite some time now and this is what I inferred from all the discussions I've had. I think job would be a better option for me for the following reasons :

1. I've got a job now, why MS?


2. I've learnt that wherever you go, experience counts. And MS isn't going to fetch me any experience. Two years down the line, I would still be a fresher…and nobody's promising me a job as soon as I finish my post graduation. Who knows? May be even then, I would still be on search for a job.


3. For doing MS, I would need a loan of 20 lakhs. Even if I took one and finished my course; I would need at least three more years to repay the loan. So that makes to 5 years of joblessness. But if I were going for the job, by the end of 2 years, my earning would count to 6 lakhs. And may be by God's grace if I have an increment later on, 5 years down the line my total earnings would sum up to 20 lakhs. So that means MS would COST me 20 lakhs for 5 years while Job would EARN me 20 lakhs in 5 years.


4. For 22 years I've been dependent on my parents for my education. Its high time I start doing something for them. Because for a girl, the only period she can repay her family is the time between marriage and the completion of her education. After marriage, I would be having different family. May be it would be difficult for me to help them then. And so I cant remain jobless (literally) for the next 5 years.


5. They say MS means personality development and exposure…won't a job fetch me that to some extent at least?


6. I fear staying away from family for 2 years. It's really a long long time and very difficult for a girl like me to survive. I might get that homesick feeling anytime and run off from there.


7. Even I go for MS, I would sure be coming back to India- to work here, and not in America. And through some knowledgeable friends I've come to know that MS is good if you are prepared to work there in U.S.A.


8. Why should I prefer to work in restaurants of America as a waiter to earn money for my basic living expenses when I can actually lead a decent life here in India with the kind of job I have in my hands today? (Oh no, I am not criticizing the job of a waiter, its only about my capabilities)


9. Perhaps the only reason that's pushing me towards MS is F.R.I.E.N.D.S- coz all of them are going. Probably this is just one last chance God's giving me to be with them for another 2 years. But I've relied on them for almost everything these 4 years and I guess MS would mean- throwing my responsibilities back to my friends, which according to me is really bad! It's time i realize we all aren't going to marry the same guy :P


10. Moreover I am not so greedy for money so as to earn tens of lakhs every year…for me 50000/month even after 5 years would be more than enough to lead a normal life.


But MS would also mean – another degree. I would be called a postgraduate. And it's another chance to get back to my original field of study- Electronics. And the increments in Electronics would be much higher than the increments in IT field.

So, tell me guys! Which is a better option according to you? The final choice is definitely mine but a little guidance from you might be of help.



19 comments:

Lena said...

sweetie, you dont need guidance, whatever we say it is all your decision.
Just one thing i will tell you... be it my life i wouldnt go, but then... it is not my life, it is yours.

I am sure whatever deciion you make it will be good for you, just try to make it according to your needs and not follow the firends blindly, because even after 2 years you still will have to part.

Love you, sweets!
Take care!

Lena said...

PS: too many typos for one comment :D

Solitaire said...

The job market in the US is pretty sad right now for those who need visas to work. If you end up going to a good university and a good state such as California, your job prospects are higher. But then again, your expenses will be much more too.

Just a clarification, not ALL students work as waiters or doing petty jobs to earn their daily living. Good universities offer great on-campus jobs which suffice. I have not once worked illegally in this country, and neither have I paid any of my fees from my own pocket.

Manish said...

ahem ahem ...no comments ..

Sameera Ansari said...

As I told you before,it's up to you to decide.And having experience counts a lot more than being a post graduate,I have learnt that the hard way.Also,when there are financial concerns involved here,why not take up a job(which you alreay have)and start your way on the road to independence?

hope said...

Well.. its up to you cutie pie.. I agree with sameera.. experience counts more than a post graduate degree.. coz even after post graduation you will start as a fresher only.. but it depends on you.. after all education has its own benefits always no?
but I tell you the moment you'll get your first pay check in hand na.. u'll forget all about MS :P really I did same :P

Vrijilesh Rai said...

Kyon? why dont u wanna do ur MS?

Wanna get married, settle down and have kids et al?

Rohit Bedida said...

Kick the U.S of A! Stay happy ova her e with the loved ones!

Karthik S said...

10 reasons for stick to job and only one reason for MS.

Well thats sum it up :-)

lukkydivz said...

@lena

janu u know i have already taken the decision...just wanted to know if its the right one! I dont wanna repent later ;)

love u too janu!
about the typos...my space doesn't mind :)

@sneha di

Thanks di :)
but i've heard people will have to work illegally to save more :O
My gre score and engineering aggregate would probably take me to an average university only :(

Thanks for the comment, it helped!

@ manish

I dont need yours :P

@sami

I know mots,thats exactly what i've been thinking :)

@arpi di

:D :D then am waiting for my first salary!

@vrij

LOL i guess u haven't read the entire post! :D never mind ;)

@rohit

Yes, have done that already!

@karthik

yup! ;) me not going!

Aneesh said...

it entirely depends on your interest. do you still want to study? if yes, then go for it. I know people who are fed up with studying and if you are one among them, go for a job, don't let other people decide your life for you. You really know what you want and go according to the wish of your heart. if you ask 10 people you'll get 10 different opinion and only confusion will increase. it's your life, you should decide!!

Vishesh said...

its ur birthday today? happy birthday :)

hmm...i think it would depend on what you feel you want the most...if you get a good uni,then why not go...

hope said...

Wish you a very happy b'day cutie pie.. hugzz *smiles*

The Furobiker said...

if the job market becomes more sad in amreeka.. the first people to get fired will be indians!

Sach1 said...

I am in a same fix. You gave all the reasons which I use to force myself for not goin' for an M.S. Besides, what if the time we graduate(I might go for fall 09) U.S. again gets into this recession?
But many people around me reciprocate what Vrij said. And if not an escape, M.S. actually provides you with practicality of subject and not the job. Education is always high weighed than experience.
Aur job karne k liye to saari zindagi hai..hai na?
:)

Indrajit said...

Happpy birthday .:)
Wish u al luck for the coming days .
And for the post part, I would ramble around later , bit busy now .

lukkydivz said...

@aneesh

lol yes am one among those ahe are fed up of studying :P
Thanks for the comment!

@vishesh
It WAS my budday yesterday :(

and thanks a ton for ur wishes! :)

@arpi di
Thanks a lot di :)

@abhi
hmmm :D

@sachi

lol i was thinking the other way round! ppl say job provides a higher degree of experience!
Job karne ke liye tho zindagi hai but family ko help karne ke liyue bohot kam samay hai naaaa :P

@indu

Thank u indu :)

Priya Joyce said...

u r tagged frnd

RiverSoul said...

My God . . . . You've given this so much thought..... And I definitely stand by your decision, no matter what it turns out to be.
You see, both the options have their merits and de-merits....
In the end, its your opinion alone that counts
:)
:)