Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Responsibilities

What are the responsibilities of today’s youth? Ok, I know most of us are struggling to cope with our careers. But in that interest, are we not forgetting our families? What are the other things you have to take care of, apart from studying, working and earning?

Every time I visit the hospital, there is something that grabs my attention. Today I saw an old couple helping themselves to the doctor. There was a big queue while the couple had to wait for their turn. I was wondering why there was nobody to accompany them to the hospital. Where were their children? Their grandchildren? Are people so busy with their lives to even spend some of their time with family? Just a few minutes in a day to let them know that you care, to make their world special of course by your very presence in it and to keep the faith that they are not alone.

For my granny, I was there. I made her sit on a chair nearby and I stood in the line instead.

I can’t forget the day my grandpa was on the bed suffering from cancer, I was beside him, crying all night, praying for him, wanting to hug him tight…but something held me back…may be I was afraid that my hug would wake him up.

When i was in my eighth standard, we were taken to an old age home. I still cant believe people can think of their own parents as burden and leave them to old age homes.

How many of you live with your grandparents? If you don’t, when was the last time you visited them? The last time you asked your granny about her health? The last time you stopped her from having something sweet coz she has diabetes? The last time you hugged her tight and slept off on her laps?

If you cant recollect the last time you did any of these, do it before it’s too late. Coz today, even though I wanna do all of those with my grandpa, I don’t find him here anymore!!

16 comments:

Lena said...

my grandparents had died when i was in school, i dont remember much of them...
But i believe you are right, sweetheart, people forget about parents and grandparents often thinking they are their burden now when they have received everything from them. :(
read this one, you will like it dear http://shals88.blogspot.com/2008/04/monday-morning-inspiration-28.html

Solitaire said...

It may be indeed shameful that some people do not do much about their parents and grandparents in their old age.

I also feel that it is not right to pass judgment without knowing the entire story too. What if the couple was indeed childless? What if the couple's children had passed away? What if the couple's children lived abroad and despite several attempts and requests, they refuse to join them?

If someone has their old parents join the nursing home or "old-age home" as they call it in India because it is a burden, that can be condemned. But what if they are unable to tend to them? What if they all have to work to make ends meet and cannot be able to pay for a maid or a nurse to take care of their parents while they are at work?

lukkydivz said...

i cried :(

Lena said...

well in a way solitaire is right... we cant judge without knowing the entire story, but then in general sense there are lots of situations where children indeed forget about their parents...

lukkydivz said...

@sneha di

di, not just ONE COUPLE, i have seen many...the hospital was full of elderly couples with nobody to accompany them :(

But what if they are unable to tend to them? What if they all have to work to make ends meet and cannot be able to pay for a maid or a nurse to take care of their parents while they are at work?

i believe in 80% of the cases, this is not true.

lukkydivz said...

btw di, thats an awesome pic of yours :P i loved it.

Sameera Ansari said...

Such a heartrending post sweetu.Made me feel guilty cause it's been quite a while since I spoke to my grandparents on either side.Gulp!

Bless your heart for caring so much for them.Wherever your Grandpa is,he is always watching you and thanking God for having a granddaughter like you :)

Beautiful post dearie!Love you.Hugsssssssss

lukkydivz said...

@sami

me getting applauds from you? strange!! :P thanx meri jaan :)

Solitaire said...

Thanks!!

BTW, why does this keep going private time and again?

Shalini Gowrisankar said...

It is a shameful act to actually not support your parents or grandparents. As each of us know, how much they would have sacrificied in the process of bringing us up.

I used to stay with my parents and grandparents. But now stay in the hostel as my college is 2 hrs. drive from home, but i never fails to get back home for the weekend. I love my home and the people who make my home :)

@Lena

Thanks for linking my MMI 28 here :)

lukkydivz said...

@sneha di

this never went private, sometimes i use the other account(rubix cube)for commenting :P

@shalini

:) its people like you who keep their faith.

hope said...

Lovely post.. cutie pie..

Preetilata【ツ】 said...

one of d excellent posts. m proud of u who hv such high thoughts. i wish thr were more ppl like u...:)

lv u my shona divvu..huggsss

:):):)

lukkydivz said...

@arpi di

thanx di :)

@preeti

lolz tum kuch zyada hi chadati ho mujhe :P

Pri said...

a very sweet post...
im sure ur grandparents must be very proud of you :)

lukkydivz said...

thanks pri :)