Saturday, December 13, 2008

The plight of a child

Picture this. An estranged couple raging against each other in the middle of the road. Their only three-year-old staring at them with complete innocence. At his age he even doesn’t know what FEAR is like! Just then the father reaches out for him, lifts him up in the air and threatens his wife that he would hit the kid to the ground if she continued to raise her voice. This wife still doesn’t care to shut her mouth for the sake of her own child.

Last night I went out for a walk with my aunt…maybe just to witness this horrible incident. I grabbed the child from the man’s hands and waited for the situation to pacify and then handed over the boy into some safe hands.

Ten years henceforth, maybe the child would be writing this to heal himself.




Dear someone,

Another restless night!

Sometimes I wonder why two people come together when they were never meant to be… yes I’m talking about my parents indeed. All these years I’ve seen them fighting over every possible issue. Its like they search for reasons to fight. I remember not a single moment of happiness shared or problems discussed. A two-minute talk was enough for them to blow away disgust. And during those times they don’t think of anything or anybody else-not even me. They throw things at each other; they break the costliest of furniture, they use absolute repulsive language. Sometimes I’m afraid of coming under their influence and using such language. You know I don’t want to. I really don’t want to.

Sometimes I even wish I were born in a different family. Just sometimes. They never think of how these things affect my life. I am sleeping and all of a sudden I hear voices from inside screaming and scowling at each other. I try going back to sleep but if it continues I have to get out of my bed and separate them, push them into two different rooms. Though it rarely happen that the situation pacifies due to my intervention. It might even get aggravated you know… specially if I take sides.

Difference of opinions, ego clashes, and superiority complexes – all of them take their toll on ME. I get scary dreams. Maybe I should say nightmares…like you know someone falling off from the terrace or my world devoid of love, people leaving me. My heart beats thrice its normal rate before I realize its only a dream!

I see the worst during exams time. I need some sleep, peace of mind… at least then? My exams mean nothing for them. They never helped me with my studies. Still…they expect me to stand amongst the top in school. Can someone tell me HOW am I supposed to?

But anyway life at school is better. At least I don’t get to see all this during school hours! And after school? Where do I hide? Where? And even If I do? How long? THIS is my home. I can’t run away. This is where I belong!

I wonder what our neighbors think of my family. I understand it is annoying to hear loud voices in the dark hours of the night when everybody is soundly asleep. Yes I understand. I wish even they did.

I thought about running away from these difficulties but then I’m afraid what the situation would be like when I’m not home. It can only get worse.

I can’t deny that I get angry and annoyed for silliest of reasons at times. That’s when they say- Look at other children of your age and look at yourself. I retort –Look at their parents… and now compare them with YOU. Did you give me the love I needed?

At least I have this excuse - Good or bad…for whatever I am, THEY are responsible.

34 comments:

Akshat said...

Hey Divs....

Very heart moving post.....tears welled up in my eyes!!!


The concept was good!!

and you helping the child was good....how the hell could his dad do something...disgusting!!!

lukkydivz said...

@aks

:) even i was taken aback..it was after all his own child :(

Lena said...

you know, sweetie, i wont say i can identify with those feelings you described... but i can say i know how it feels :)
and it is amazing how you managed to describe the way the kid might be feeling.
And really so sad that kids suffer because once their parents made a mistake and dont have enough courage to admit it and to make things better for everyone :(

Akshat said...

ya...thankfully I never had to go through such harsh times!!

But it feels awful to think about that poor 3 yr old!!!

Shravan Vijayaprasad said...

hmm.. :( how could a father do that??

Iono but the final line is something I won't agree too! If he was determined to do something, he wouldn't give reasons!

At the same time, it's really horrible when parents fight and the kid can get really really affected! Atleast you did what you can:):)

lukkydivz said...

@lena

umm u know janu i dont know what to give in reply to ur comment :P

@akshat

:( really!!

@shrav

i know u wont agree :P guys are guys :D

hahaha just pulling your leg ;)

Shravan Vijayaprasad said...

not again:):):)!!

Akshat said...

It seems like you really like pulling legs...i guess there is more in common between us than I thought!!

and guys are guys???....elaborate...will you???...

Shravan Vijayaprasad said...

@ akshat, if you see her previous posts, you'll understand where it all started from!!

:):):)

Akshat said...

well would have to check...sounds like a legacy has been continuing for a while!!!:P

lukkydivz said...

@GUYS :D

LOL !!

Sameera Ansari said...

The plight of the child is heartrending and you have described it so well.Wonderful post Lambi! :)

Love you.Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmaaa

lukkydivz said...

@moti

;) love u too pagli :D

lukkydivz said...

@guys

actually thanks for increasing my comments count :P come back soon :)

Femin Susan said...

Hello……
This is amazing!! I am so glad to found your blog!
You are welcomed to my blog…….
Wishing you in advance "A Merry X'Mas and A Happy New Year''

Phoenix said...

really i dont know why parents dont grow some brains instead of raping the child of his/her childhood by exposing them to such atrocities.. they should have known enough not to behave in a particular way...

really divs great topic to talk about.. i hope all those who have read your post think twice before they too do the same...

Hemanth Potluri said...

beautiful post divz :)....the tears rolled on my cheeks tell how touching it was :)....

urs..hemu..

Indrajit said...

Hmm.
Read,felt and acknowledged.
:)

lukkydivz said...

@femin susan

:) thank u n wish u the same :)

@raks

hmm ;) even i hope so :)

@hemz

:) dont cry!

@indu

:)

Priya Joyce said...

life is a mystery..and relationships r bigger ones...

niway oved to read ur post re...

DMulan said...

oh god, that must have been terrible! you did a nice and bold thing :)
nice, moving post.

lukkydivz said...

@pj

pj's philosophy :P

@div

terrible yes! bold thing? :P
:)

Pranav Kumar V said...

Holy cow!! You actually even wrote the letter for him!! Did you even kick that guy to pacify the situation?? :P The pieces of filth don't realize what a child would turn out to be growing up in such conditions!! Sad but, true!!

WarmSunshine said...

O Divvu.... such a sad post... well... i feel sorry for such children whose parents act so stupid... yes.. "stupid" is the right word... they never realize what their children are going through... the scars they leave on their young minds... they can never really get rid of those horrid marks completely...

amongst so many things that we should be thankful of... one of them is to have parents who love each other... cz that brings such a stability to us as a person and in life :)

Good work darling!

RiverSoul said...

This really happened???

God! How could the 2 idiots be so heartless??

A very touching post....

And yes. Its a wretched life to lead if the only 2 guys whom you love most in the world, turn out to be a blockheaded pair of bickering idiots.

What sort of example would they set to the poor child?

I pity those poor little angels.
Sigh.

Preetilata【ツ】 said...

:(

Ankur said...

life is a one sick bastard u know... and the growth hormones in human are bigger asses... we are growing and distancing ourselves from the basic premise of why we are humane... coz we can socialize, coz we can sacrifice!!!

Life has become mean, people dont live for anyone but themselves... and sometimes in such cases, the poor child has to bear the consequences!!!

May this be solved at his home soon and he doesnt have to bear the brunt!!
May this was just a single incident which will hopefully not be repeated! !:)

beautiful post and beautiful letter, but yea... the emotions... made me think too much!! :)

Richa said...

awww Divy....

so piognant... broken families spoil the lives of the children...

really, ppl should not plan kids if anyhow they cant bring them up...

Shravan Vijayaprasad said...

am back again sweets!! :):)

Blog updated:):)

Think Tank said...

thats terrible div :'(

Think Tank said...

if parents can do that to their kida ..mumbai isn't a surprise

Chronicler said...

hmmmm i so agree.. we need to clean the muck in our personal lives before we can do anyhting else... the kids get the worst of it all.. for no fault of theirs its saddening...

Anwesa said...

a horrific tale indeed!i pray that things become managable 4 dat family-a child shud not suffer without any fault.

NAVAL LANGA said...

I have come here from Ms. Sameera's poetry blogs. I read some of your posts and would like to revisit your blog for reading more from you.

If you like short stories and paintings, then a short visit to my blogs would be a refreshing one.

Naval Langa
http://cleanfiction.blogspot.com/