Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A farewell




I love airports. I haven’t been there many times and the very few times that took me there…always had me in tears. I love them nevertheless.

Yesterday or more precisely in the early hours of this morning three of my friends left for the USA. This post is about my whole experience of watching them leave.

At around 4PM in the noon yesterday, I went to Box’s house so I can bid them farewell, as they were getting ready for their new ventures. The moment I entered, she gave me a packet full of some American chocolates (that I finished in two hours or so). We chatted for sometime, listened to some English music and laughed about not understanding a single word of the lyrics yet trying to sing them aloud as if the world was ours… Box was showing off her posh hair cut that she had got done at some parlor for 650 rupees :P. Was finding it so cute to see her looking into the mirror at least three hundred times yesterday :D

A little later she started showing some of the things that she was taking to the US. And among them were the two letters I wrote to her… one was in third year of engineering while exams were going on when she jokingly asked me for a Snickers chocolate and I couldn’t stop myself from buying one for her. I also wrote a letter and dropped it along with the chocolate into her bag as a surprise. Stupid Box dint notice the gift until I messaged her on my own to check her bag.

Needless to say, she was damn happy! She messaged me back saying that she is feeling really great for the fact that I wrote a letter for her despite having an exam the next day.

Another letter… or I rather say CARD I made for her on her birthday. The card was so full of smiles, my love added with a bountiful of insecurity. I told her not to forget me when she went abroad to which she always replied- how will I?

Reading my own letters made me cry. Just made me realize how difficult it is to not to have them around for a span of two years. I cried…thinking of future, if there is anyone at all left to take care of me like they did for all these years. I would miss their cheerful faces, I would miss chatting with them, I would miss their voices, the fun…. I would miss out on everything.

I got back to normal in a few minutes. We laughed again, we had dinner, we continued chatting and Box... she was still talking to us… while adjusting her hair of course :D.

11PM- the time for us to start for the airport. She held her luggage; she wore her new branded shoes, was smiling and laughing…so excited she was. Maybe inside she was crying… but it is amazing how she smiles hiding her grief within. It is tough for anyone…. to leave your family and go away to a place so far that you wouldn’t be able to see those faces again for 365+365 days. (I know web cams are available…still…)

But I was crying… seeing all of that I was crying. I felt like hugging her and not letting her go. I felt like telling her that I need her as much as I need my family.

We got into the car. I luckily had a chance to sit beside her while she held my hand into hers and started with her ever so lively blabber. That’s the best thing about her. Some people cry with you, others just try to bring a smile on your face…you know they just cannot see you sad.

We laughed again. In between a few tears did roll down my cheeks but then… I told you… she wouldn’t let us cry… so we laughed … :)

And then we got down at the airport. Met the other two friends- Harika and Divya and a whole lot of their relatives. They were obviously getting busier with each passing moment. Div came by and gave me a hug and told me not to cry. It made me cry again.

Harika and I, just exchanged a few glances… don’t know why. It still baffles me. We are apparently the thickest of friends …like I always said… nobody knows me better than what she does. She knows the good… and the bad in me... just everything … yet… yesterday was a complete mystery. I’m just assuming that some things are better not said. And so she preferred not to :O

While box gave me back those glances just to check if I was all right. With her sweet lil gestures she kept saying- Plz don’t cry Div.

All through this Shailu too kept saying- Don’t cry Div, they would not want to see us sad while leaving.

That’s how she controlled her plight.

But how would not I cry? They are my best friends. And it obviously hurts to see them leave. And I never learned to hide my feelings – love, hate, insecurity, possessiveness, anger…whatever!

And they left… smiling and waving.

On the way back home, I cried again. I was rather afraid to live a life without them.
I thought to myself– Shailu is my baby, I got to take care of her… but who would take care of me?
And just then she held my hand…tightly…assuring me that she is still there. Babies are the biggest joy of your life… and sometimes they even prove the biggest support!

It was 4AM when i received a text message, I wondered who might have sent me a message to me at the time of the night... it was Lena's I missed you message. Janu i dint have enough balance in my cell to sms you to say that I wont be online :(

This is probably the last post I’m writing for this year unless I really get an urge to write something. (That can even be tomorrow :D ). So Happy Christmas and a very Happy New Year to all!!

P.S - I’m in delhi from 28th of December to don’t-know-when. So I might not get a chance to visit your blogs … please bear with my absence ;)

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

i knew u wud be posting abt this... and well written...

u have great friends and an ocean or two is not enough to separate such good friends chechu... dont worry!! :)

i missed u yesterday too, but i don't have a cellphone to sms u...come to think of it, dont have ur number either!! :D

oh, u might write on 31st at 11:59:59pm also...who knows!! :D
just in case...merry christmas and happy new year to u too...!! :D

pity u cant celebrate new years with us here on blogger...! :(

lukkydivz said...

@onion

:)
hmm hope so!!
lol u dont have a cell phone? :O why u wanna say that on my blog? u want me to send one or u want my phone number :D

yeah a post might come up just anytime :)

pisku said...

You took me back a few years. I remember waving good by to dear friends, one by one. 12 of them at last count.To be honest, I don't know if I ever recovered. Probably just came to terms with it.
The bright side though, it opened me up to another world of people, different to what I was used to. It helps you will grow more complete as a person :)

Well written and a hearty new year.

WarmSunshine said...

Awwww you're such a softie

Goodbyes are like a mess for me too... i cry and i hug and i cry again... so i could really relate with this post

*hugs*
... you deserve 'em lots *hugs again*

and hey... be back soon larki!!!

lukkydivz said...

@pisku

lol@ur display name :P

12 of them? omg.. must have felt disgusted :O
hmm i wud still prefer having the same freinds for a lifetime :)

@meher

:) thanks meh!
Love ur hugs ;)

Preetilata【ツ】 said...

do not knw what to say dear. my friends left too one by one. i am d only one who is still here. i miss them.

humbl devil said...

tu toh aise bol rahi hai they will be gone forever...
well, actually amrika does steal your loved ones from you...hehe
kamino ko call uthane ka tym nahi milta!!!

hope your loved ones have the tym for you...:P

p.s.
what can i do if you had received all the awards before hand???
can i help it if you are so popular, sweet, dashing, smart, creative, senti, and a million more adjectives rolled into one???
>:P

p.p.s.
who knows...you myt get a new year gift...something only for ya...hehe..

neers said...

touching post...must have been very hard.. but u'll put up a brave front like u already are :)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to u too dear...take care and smile! :)

-neers

lukkydivz said...

@potty

we have a lot more in common!! ;)

@devil uncle

lol bechare tumhare friends..kya kya sunna padta hai tujhse :|
sweet and senti tho main hu..baaki na tum jano na hum!
@pps- mujhe new year gift ABHI chahiye :| something only for me? so so sweet ;) i'm waiting then uncle :)

@neers

am feeling sick without them.. thought of sleeping..just cudnt.:(
thanks for dropping by :)

DMulan said...

awww baby... its alright.. things like this have to happen.. its sad i know.. went through the same thing when my friend left last year.. was sooo bad.. but happens.. cruel life :(

Lena said...

:)
no oceans can hold apart loving hearts... distance does not mean much when it is about true feelings.. thats not for the rest of your life that you are apart :)

and i guess you cried too much :P
love you sweets!

Sameera Ansari said...

Awww! :(

No wonder you are so sad and down today.It's hard when we part physically from our dear ones,no matter how good the means of communication we have on our hands.

You will feel better dear,and very soon will think they are just in another town once the chats and video conferences start.I know this part too well,and can imagine how you must be feeling now.

Delhi will be a good change for you Lambs,enjoy the trip!

Lub bu.Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmaaa

*HUGS*

Anil Sawan said...

ooo sweetu.. they are just a call way, dnt u worry. wazup in delhi? u too goin for visa interview? :P

Priya Joyce said...

tat mAde me think of my friends...I hav gone thru this "farewell" so mny tymes..huh!

sad..but still tats lyf

Pranav Kumar V said...

At airports, you cry...
At a friend's, you cry...
At almost ANYthing, you cry...
How many liters of water do you have per day?? I'm asking this out of innocence!! :| Don't you ever dehydrate?? :P:P:P

At airports, I have coffee...
At a friend's, I prefer coffee...
At almost ANYplace I prefer coffee...
I am coffo-tional!! :P

I tried crying when I was bleeding from my eye (right) but the other guy in me always manages to push out a smile on my face!! The doc. asked me to breathe out to check if I was drunk when I went to him bleeding yet smiling (or maybe laughing)!! :|

P.S. I just use Close-up!! :|

Pranav Kumar V said...

oh yeah, see you when I see you... :)

Arv said...

warm friendships :)

lovely... keep them alive :)

take care mate... Happy x'mas

Hemanth Potluri said...

i have missed my frnds a lot of times..but the i missed mostly the fun we used to make together...i hated to cry in the airport when my frnd left :)..but emotions cant be controlled :)...


this is some friendship post which really touched the cores of my heart ...really very sweet post divz :)...take a jacket since it wud be awesome cold in delhi :)...and say hi to preetz ...u both sweethearts enjoy well :)...

urs..hemu..

Richa said...

awwww....

i so understand wat does it take to see ur closest of friends going..

frnships never fade away..
missing them is an inevitable part of life.. i am soo confused nad touched with this post of urs tht i dunno wat to write...

nostalgia has seeped in ofcourse.. :)

you take care buddy..
n have fun, merry christmas n happy new yr to u u too :)

Akshat said...

Check my blog!!

Something for you

http://akt-akshat.blogspot.com/2008/12/santas-bag-just-opened.html

Cяystal said...

I know how it feels when you have to big adieu to the bestest f friends..but mela baby.we have to learn to bear with the absence..'cos the bond of friendship between two hearts never died..
Merry X'mas Divlii...tc!!..

Phoenix said...

ohh!! :(

*HUGS*

CMON SWEETHEART smile... :) with time things will be better .. :)

Anonymous said...

ill be back on the first of january./. you asked me to come back.. and i dun know what come may be.. come back by 1sst of jan

author_number_2 said...

good post. any farewell is painful. happened with me some months ago, yet to recover from it. memories haunt us terribly.

@pranav
some day you'll realize it and yeah then you'll regret saying so.

Cheers!

Indrajit said...

Hmmm..
It really hurts...
N
N
leave it... :p

u missd som1's birthday actually..
:p

Aneesh said...

Sorry that I'm late. I missed a lot from your part. Belated X'mas wishes and happy new year in advance :)
Sorry to hear that you are not in good spirits now..
Hope to see you soon..
:)